LGANT provides councils across the Northern Territory advice on good governance practices as well as a suite of non-accredited governance training. LGANT’s governance training is part of its Local Government Excellence Project, which is supported by the NT Department of Housing and Community Development.
Good governance leads to better decisions, better relationships and better local government, so it’s a priority of LGANT to support its members in this area.
Good governance is about the processes for making and implementing decisions, assisting local government meet its legislative responsibilities and importantly provides an ethical basis for governance.
It has a positive effect on various aspects of local government including consultation policies and practices, meeting procedures, service quality protocols, elected member and officer conduct, role clarification and good working relationships.
What are the main characteristics of good governance?
• legislatively sound
• equitable and inclusive
• effective and efficient
What are the benefits of good governance?
• promotes community confidence
• builds confidence in elected members and council officers
• leads to better decisions
• helps local government meet its legislative responsibilities
• supports ethical decision making.
How can LGANT help?
To support councils improve member skills base and knowledge capacity, LGANT is offering training to elected and local authority members and local government staff, focusing on the following topics:
• LGANT’s role and services
• introduction to local government in the NT
• roles of elected and local authority members
• responsibilities of elected and local authority members
• communication skills
• community engagement
• code of conduct
• how to chair a meeting
• meeting procedures
• local authority finances and how to read a financial report
• how to read council budgets
• leadership and teamwork
LGANT is also working with WALGA to develop modules which can be completed through distance learning.
If you are interested in finding out more about this LGANT service, please contact Angela Pattison on 89 44 9674